Friday, June 1, 2007

Recap for Week Ending 6/1

Oil and gold rallied later this week. Not surprisingly, the U.S. dollar strengthened against most of the majors but tanked against the commodity currencies (AUD, CAD and NZD).

I made a couple of blunders: After my stop loss on AUD/JPY was triggered and the currency pair had started to show signs of recovery, I failed to go long. I mistook a temporary profit-taking for a dead-cat bounce. Instead of following the reinforced trend, I stayed out of it and patiently looked for a support retest that never happened. Missed out on a gain of 200+ PIPs and associated carry interest.

In addition, I insisted on adding to my long USD/CAD position, going against the market’s bearish bias toward the pair. A consulting firm had issued a sell USD/CAD recommendation but I disregarded that. I still do; this part is no mistake. If consulting firms were better than traders at market-timing, they would be timing the market for themselves, not for traders.

At any rate, the mistake here is that I completely ignored the signals. I bought more at two separate instances of MACD crossing when I should have sold. In fact, I was not even aware of the crossings as they occurred because I was too busy calculating the perfect entry price. I thought I was so invincible that I could wish a reversal into existence, that momentum did not matter, and I that I could violate the golden rules and still come out ahead. I let my ego run the show. I should never forget that this is a numbers' game. As in John Maynard Keynes' "beauty contest," majority rules here.

No comments: